Thursday, May 20, 2010

Product Review: Human Nature Cleanser & Makeup Remover

I am a self-confessed makeup junkie. It probably started when I was three years old and discovered the power of lipstick in a little pink candy called lips. Twenty one years later, I still totally love makeup albeit with more sophistication now that a 1 peso candy laced with pink food color.

Everyone who pretty much loves makeup is always in search of the Holy Grail – the ultimate makeup remover. It doesn’t matter if you’re makeup is super-expensive, super hypoallergenic or super pure, at the end of the day – this is the first commandment of makeup junkies – you still have to remove it!

The best makeup remover I have found in the market so far is Shu Uemura’s cleansing oil. It’s the perfect makeup remover it removes even the most stubborn specie of the whole MAC kingdom: the waterproof mascara. One problem though is that it is a bit too expensive. At 3500 per 450 ml I usually just use it when I had to pile on several layers – from primer, to base to finishing powder – of makeup. Sometimes, I don’t use it when all I’ve used for the day is just some loose powder and bronzer it just doesn’t seem practical. I, however; feel guilty sometimes that I might have been unable to remove all traces of color pigment. So I tried other makeup removers – but it just doesn’t seem to come close to Shu’s cleansing power. So I am back to the traditional facial foam and toner. I want to be less dramatic and not say it like this but what the hell…Until last night.

Last night, after dining at healthy kitchen we went to this Echo Store in Serendra. The store sells environmental friendly toiletries which are locally made and most importantly CHEAP! Cheap, of course, usually equate to not good but since the labels clearly indicate the ingredients I figure well it’s worth trying. Since we already have pretty much what we need – shampoo, soap, massage oils, lotion, moisturizers etc. – we just bought some stuff which may be readily used (like that same night!). So final purchase for the night: cleanser/makeup remover and a non-toxic powdered insecticide called Exterminator. Since I cannot empathize with the ants, I will only do a review of the cleanser/makeup remover.

The cleanser/makeup remover is made from honey, and at 100 pesos it couldn’t be bad. After using it, it is not so bad at all. In fact, it’s super good! I didn’t have mascara at that time but I had on some cheek tint which pretty much stuck to my skin after sweating it out at Barre3. After emulsifying the cleanser, it cleaned out all traces of makeup and foundation on. The ultimate test that I had to subject it to that night was to use it as a cold cream too i.e. whether in using it with cotton I can still get some dirt or makeup residue. I didn’t get any! The best thing too is that not only do you get a clean face, but the cleanser left my skin nicely dewy and supple – bye bye to those moisture stripping facial cleanser that leaves you feeling like you just had botox.

Verdict: it’s not a replacement for Shu but it definitely works to replace your regular facial foam and perfect for light makeup days. I love it!

Another bonus thing too is that they don't wrap your purchases in a plastic bag, rather they put it in this recycled glossy magazines that was made into 'bags'. Of course, they could have instead asked us if we want our purchase our purchases wrapped to begin with.

Echo Store is located at G/F Serendra, across Market Market

2 comments:

  1. That shop is pretty good, and their products are not expensive at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! It looks pretty intimidating at first since it is at Serendra and it sells eco-friendly products, which are generally more pricey than the usual, but it's not expensive at all! I think i'll be coming back often to this store. :)

    ReplyDelete