Friday, June 4, 2010

The Ticking Point to Murder

Facebook: all comments, likes, photos, checked.  Phone: all games played.  Laptop: battery at critical low. Two granola bars: eaten. Water bottle: finished. Lecture: still on going...going...going...

Today marks the day I first walked out on a lecture, not because I need to do something of transcendental importance but simply because I couldn't take it anymore.. Thirty minutes of overtime is forgivable, even welcome at times, one hour of overtime is already bordering on the insensitive. One and a half hour marks the ticking point* where tolerance turns to hostility. Two hours marks the second ticking point where expletives are thrown, tables and chairs are banged, and people start walking out.  Two and a half hours is another ticking point where insensitivity turns to cruelty and becomes a violation of human rights. Beyond two and a half hours is the ticking point where hostility turns to serious thoughts of murder.   


If today marks the first day that I walked out on a lecture, today also marks the day a friend and classmate of mine cancelled a trip to Europe, because he had to attend the lecture/orientation  for one of our classes.  Unbelievable.  Another blockmate who works for a BPO and does the night shift also has to forego slip, for three days, in order to attend the orientation.  As for me? I had to sacrificed three days of income to attend.

The scenario during the orientation reminds me of a slide presented by Tamara Erickson in her lecture at the Young President's Organization on thoughts of Gen Y.  In her slide there was a thought bubble which says 'why are these people obsessed with face-to-face'.   Indeed, as I look on how I was able to send emails, close deals, read the news, converse with people online and on my blackberry, I increasingly don't see the point why we have to sit for three straight days just to listen to a lecture which could have and maybe even more effectively (for some at least) delivered or uploaded as a video or webinar online.  I sincerely appreciate the efforts conducted by our lecturers who are often paid a measly sum. The fact, however; remains that for some topics their physical presence - and OUR physical presence - is not necessary for us to learn.  

Phone battery: charging.  Laptop: fully charged.  Other means of diversion: seriously under consideration.  Tomorrow: Day 3.

*I adopted the term ticking point from Malcolm Gladwells concept of Tipping Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment