Thursday, June 17, 2010

How Do You Mend a Broken Heart

How do you console a grown up man? How do you try to project hope when deep down you know there is none? How do you offer an option when the dead-end is reached?

How?

These are not legal questions. It may not even be questions which a legal intern and a law student asks herself when talking to clients.  Yet, I asked it.



Today, the father of an 11-year old rape victim talked to me. His daughter is my client.  One week ago we received an Order from the RTC dismissing the case of his daughter due to the death of the accused.  Since the death of an accused would extinguish his criminal liability, the death of the accused means the death for the case.  The death of the case, and along with it - in this case - the death of any possible retribution or reparation, even if it is only psychological, for the victim and her parents.


The father asked me, so Ma'am is there any other option? I said we can file a civil case but it would be hard, especially in this case since the parents of the accused don't have property anyway.  He said his child now needs psychological assistance due to the trauma she experienced. She asked me if I know of any other remedy.  I looked backed on my days not as an intern but as a psychology student.

How do you relieve trauma? How do you attain cognitive closure? How do you bring the news that there is no hope but there is an option? That there must be...

How?

This song is for a broken heart, but i think the blues is reflective

No comments:

Post a Comment