Monday, August 23, 2010

Potatoes and Mas(h) Potatoes

Cornier than corn joke for the day

Me: What's better than potatoes?
Ferdi: What?
Me: Mas(h) potato.

Ferdi: That's the most stupid thing i've heard today!


So last night we had mash potatoes and kielbasa sausages.  Being the most skillful cook that I am, sarcasm sarcasm, I was delegated to peel the potatoes instead. If there is something as cruel and unusual kitchen punishment this would be it, as I was made to peel a sackful of potatoes enough to feed an army forced to starve for 10 days.

So with my newly bought peeler from the Cook's Exchange at Powerplant Mall, I proceeded to sit in front of the tv with 3 containers in front -- one for the to-be-peeled potatoes, another for the peels, and the last one for already peeled.  After almost an hour of peeling I am finally done!
stainless steel peeler from Cook's Exchange
Next task is to cut the potatoes in quarters, or in six, keeping in mind uniformity in size to make sure they all cook well. Being the slightly obsessive compulsive that I am, 20 minutes later I have one truck load of evenly sliced potatoes.
peels go to the right and peeled ones on top

Now next task is boiling. There is no specific time limit in doing the boiling, but just make sure that the potatoes are tender enough to be mashed, but solid enough that you wouldn't end up eating mush potato instead of mashed potato.

While waiting for it to boil, I did the spinach which is - not to be cooked - added into the mush of potatoes. Since spinach is high in iron and other vitamins, adding this would make your mashed potatoes healthier! Once the mashing is done, you can add some horseradish, and a bit of milk. I hate numbers so my measurement is more qualitative than quantitative. Hence, if you think it's enough it must be enough.

Try not to get too carried away when mashing, like I did, and be sure to serve while it's hot. And there goes my contribution for dinner last night.


Bon Appetit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment